Hospice Waikato is the only New Zealand hospice to offer a specialist child-focused palliative care service.
Rainbow Place is where children, young people and their families can find care and support throughout this very difficult time. Our incredible team help relieve symptoms, improve quality of life, and support parents and siblings through a child’s illness and into bereavement. Our palliative care is specifically tailored to the unique physical, psychological and cognitive development of each child.
We also provide specialised therapeutic support for children and young people experiencing grief and bereavement related to a family member under the care of Hospice Waikato.
Age-appropriate, sensitive, but honest communication with children is the cornerstone of our children’s and young person’s palliative care.
Working in partnership with families, Rainbow Place provides specialised nursing care for children and young people in the community, at home, in school and in hospital.
Our comprehensive package of care for sick children and young people also includes counselling and therapeutic support for family members and carers.
All services are provided at no charge.
Who can be referred?
- Children and young people affected by the serious illness of a close family member who is under the care of Hospice Waikato adult services.
- Children and young people who have a serious life-limiting or life-threatening condition.
What is a life-limiting or life-threatening condition?
A life-limiting or life-threatening condition is an illness where the child or young person is either not expected to live far into adulthood,
or their condition may result in premature death.
This may include:
- Conditions for which curative treatment may not be feasible, for example cancer. Conditions where premature death is inevitable, for example Cystic Fibrosis, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
- Progressive conditions without curative treatment options, for example Batten Disease.
- Irreversible, but non-progressive conditions causing severe disability leading to susceptibility to health complications and likelihood of premature death, for example severe cerebral palsy.
Who can refer?
- Families, friends and relatives
- Healthcare professionals
- Social services
Support is available at Rainbow Place, in the home or in other community settings.
The Rainbow Place team offers… Specialist nursing care and support Multi-disciplinary team approach One-on-one counselling Group workshops Family therapy Support groups Art therapy Memory-making activities Sandplay therapy Child-centred play therapy Directed hospital play Inpatient respite care in IPU Rainbow Place room.
Download forms here
The form below can be used to refer a patient to our hospice services. Once completed in full please fax the form to the respective location. It is essential to fill all the * fields. Process of this referral will be delayed if there is insufficient supporting evidence. Please fax referrals to: 07 859 1266
334 Cobham Drive
PO Box 325
Waikato Mail Centre
Phone: 07 859 3848
Fax: 07 859 3847
Rainbow Place is based in Hamilton and operates in the Waikato, King Country and Thames/Coromandel regions. An advisory service is available outside these areas.