Our facility is committed to providing holistic care, to support our patients and their families. Respect for the cultural and spiritual needs of our patients and their families are important to us. Our skilled team of professionals provide clinical support with care and compassion. Time spent identifying the needs of you and your family will help ensure that your treatment and care is the best possible for you. This approach is central to our philosophy.
Rooms are private, spacious, each with its own ensuite, TV, and outdoor area. Lounge areas with kitchenettes are available for use by family and friends. Our staff are available to ensure you are comfortable during your stay. If there is anything concerning your care or treatment please talk to a staff member.
The length of stay is decided on an individual basis with most patients returning to their own homes. Our specialist unit does not provide long-term care.
Hospice patients may be referred to the unit by their General Practitioner, Specialist Doctor or Community Nurse. Requests for admission are individually assessed. Read more
Reasons for Admission
People are admitted for:-
- Symptom management – review and control of troublesome symptoms.
- Respite care – A planned pre booked admission to allow time out for patients, carers and family members. Admission, though booked, can not be automatically assumed and is dependent on bed availability and will be prioritized against patient need.
- Care in the final days of life – In some situations, care at home is no longer possible and it may be more suitable for a person to spend their last days in the care of Hospice Waikato IPU. This would be decided in full discussion with patient, family and community team including GP
Most admissions to the In-Patient Unit are planned in advance and can usually be arranged within a few days.
My Inpatient stay has been arranged. What do I need to do?
- Pack a bag with some comfortable casual clothing as well as your nightwear and dressing gown
- Please bring your own medications.
- Don’t forget your toiletries.
- Bring continence products if you are using them.
- You are welcome to bring family photos and mementos but please don’t bring valuables that may pose a security risk.
- All bedding and linen is supplied but you are welcome to bring a favourite pillow, quilt or similar.
- Cell phones and wireless laptops can be used here at your own risk.
How much will it cost me to stay?
It will not cost you anything to stay in our facility. However you may be charged for certain drugs that are not funded. Hospice Waikato does not meet the cost of transfer by ambulance to and from the In-Patient Unit.
Visiting hours are flexible with consideration taken for all patients staying with us. This may mean that the staff request that you restrict visitors at certain times depending on circumstances. Family staying overnight may be limited at times.
The Hospice Waikato site is a Smoke Free Environment. Abusive or violent behaviour is not tolerated.
In-Patient Unit Tour
Please click here to take a tour of our In-Patient Unit.